Sooo Beauties… the new year is here so welcome to 2017 the year that I’m nominating ‘The Year Of Well being’. Basically what this means is that I will be encouraging and supporting our [yours and mine] Wellbeing goals. So with this in mind I thought I’d start by talking about the benefits of massage. Okay… so you know about massage and I’m sure that there isn’t much here that’ll be new to you, so treat this post as a gentle reminder of those benefits and what a powerful addition massage can be to our mind, body and spirit care.
Now this is a kind of fusion post because as well as extolling the numerous benefits of massage, I’m also talking about the gorgeous Elemis De stress Massage Oil.
The Elemis Oil
This lush aromatherapy oil is designed to relax, soothe and harmonise with its hand selected pure essential oils of Rosewood, Melissa, Marjoram, Geranium, Rosemary, Lavender and Chamomile. As with many aromatherapy oils it smells wonderful but what makes this stand out is how potent the blend is…. you start to feel relaxed just by inhaling it, so you can imagine how effective it is at soothing when having a massage with it. The other quality that stands out about this oil is how rich and luscious it feels; for me that is really important as I really find thin oils unattractive and difficult to use …why? I guess because thin oils feel as if they are made without love but as you’ll see from the list below this formulation is jam packed with loving stress busting goodies ;)
- Rosewood oil is a sweet, spicy and floral scented oil that is usually extracted from the Brazilian Rosewood tree. It is known amongst other things for its qualities as an antidepressant.
- Melissa oil is also known as lemon balm and is found in the Mediterranean. This is another sweet smelling oil that is known as an effective mood lifter and an antidepressant.
- Marjoram oil is a calming oil, it has a warming effect on both mind and body. It soothes tense muscles after exercise and is beneficial for occasional simple nervous tension.
- Geranium oil is known for being a great mood balancer and it has an uplifting aroma
- Rosemary oil is particulaly effective for stress relief, anxiety and mental clarity
- Lavender oil as we all know is famous for calming, relaxing and balancing – both physically and emotionally.
I’m a passionate advocate for massage, I love massages…good therapeutic massages. Massage is a very potent and powerful stress relieving tool that shouldn’t be underestimated. Massage stimulates your body to release endorphins ( you know, those happy hormones) and with that release comes wide-ranging, positive effects. There are of course a multitude of different types of massage but ultimately they all help to reduce our stress by doing some of the following:
- Decreasing anxiety.
- Reducing aches and pains
- Enhancing sleep quality.
- increasing energy.
- Improving concentration.
- Increasing circulation.
- Reducing fatigue
Self Massage- self massage is great for those times when you simply can’t make the time to have a full therapeutic massage. You can spend as little as 5 mindful minutes focused on massaging oil into any areas of tension or soreness, or just simply for the pleasure of massaging oil into your skin.
Tip – why not spend 5-10 minutes massaging this oil into your feet before bed for a truly relaxing treat. Our feet are the second fastest area of the body to absorb oils because of the large pores. Other quick absorbing areas include behind the ears and on the wrists; so oil used to massage the feet can help you to relax and potentially sleep better.
So as you’ve committed to taking care of yourself as you navigate the busy year ahead, why not add massage to your self love tool kit and release some happy hormones?
Available for £40 from Elemis