Skincare ingredient Azelaic Acid is found from grains such as barley, wheat, and rye and is a superstar for treating acne! Let’s talk about why it’s so great.
Azelaic Acid is antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it effective in the treatment of acne and rosacea.
According to Paula’s Choice, Azelaic Acid works because: “It is suspected that azelaic acid interrupts the progression of emerging skin concerns in the upper layers. Without this inhibiting benefit, they can progress to skin concerns such as pigmentation spots, redness, scars, a dull complexion and increased sensitivity. Azelaic acid ‘tells’ the cells in the upper skin layers how to behave, which results in a smoother and visibly healthier skin, regardless of your age, skin type or skin concerns.”
Azelaic Acid works by:
- Clearing your pores of bacteria that may be causing irritation or breakouts
- Reducing inflammation so acne becomes less visible, less red, and less irritated
- Gently exfoliating and encouraging cell turnover so your skin heals more quickly and scarring is minimized
- Helping to refine the skin’s surface to reveal a more even skin tone.
- It also has skin-soothing benefits and can even reduce sensitivity that leads to redness.
Regular use of this fabulous ingredient can lead to gently exfoliated skin without irritation, a reduction in acne and reduced sensitivity… sounds great, doesn’t it?
Who is it for?
- Perfect for acne prone skin to reduce breakouts and has also been used to treat rosacea. In fact, it’s been likened to benzoyl peroxide and tretinoin (Retin-A) in regards to its treatment of acne.
- It’s also great for anyone looking to reduce the appearance of red marks and discolouration, for a smoother even complexion.
- It’s quite well tolerated even for sensitive skin.
How to use
- Although it has exfoliating properties, it does not exfoliate in the same way and not as effectively as glycolic acid and lactic acid (AHAs) or salicylic acid (BHAs) – but has an advantage when it comes to improving uneven skin tone and other skin concerns. Pairs well with an AHA or BHA exfoliant for their added benefits.
- Azelaic acid can be used in gel, foam, or cream form and plays well with a range of different skincare products.
Some of our favourites are…
StriVectin Daily Reveal™ Exfoliating Pads 60 Pads
Love that this allows for controlled distribution, just press your cotton pad on the lid to release the product and wipe over your face. This feels gentle on the skin, it doesn’t irritate or leave your skin dry. Over time, your skin becomes more radiant. This contains prickly pear and aloe Vera for exfoliation and soothing.
Glow Recipe Strawberry Smooth BHA + AHA Salicylic Serum
This lovely sweet smelling strawberry serum is a beautiful blend of a special blend of 2% salicylic acid & mandelic acid (AHA+BHA) strawberry, azelaic acid, and succinic acid to smooth texture, clear breakouts, and refine pores, while calming the skin.
Paula’s Choice Azelaic Acid Booster
This multi-tasking booster is a powerful combination of Azelaic Acid, Salicylic Acid and plant extracts has multiple benefits for skin. It works to fade pigmentation and reduce breakouts without drying the skin… leaving you with a move even, radiant complexion. Love that you don’t need much and can mix it with other products to get the benefits.
May contain affiliate links