We’ve all heard of Niacinamide because of its skin clearing benefits and hydration boosting properties. It’s become something of a superhero skincare ingredient, and for good reason! Let’s break it down for you…
What is it?
Basically, Niacinamide is Vitamin B3, which is an essential nutrient for the skin. It can be found in vitamin rich foods like kale, mushrooms, eggs almonds, cereals and more. Our bodies can’t product it ourselves, so you need to get it through your diet.
Outer Beauty Benefits
- It can help increase the skins’ ability to maintain hydration, which does wonders for the skin! It does this by strengthening the skin’s moisture barrier, improving its ability to hold in moisture.
- It helps to improve skin texture and reduce the appearance of pores due to its ability to help the skin hold onto moisture.
- It’s good for calming the skin, particularly with the increase in mask wearing.
- By locking in moisture, it allows the skins natural cell turnover to take place properly… leaving you with brighter skin.
- It can help lighten dark spots and marks of hyperpigmentation
- It could help regulate sebum production.
- It can help protect against sun damage by rebuilding healthy skin cells whilst also protecting them from damage caused by ultraviolet rays. This also protects against environmental stresses like pollution and toxins.
- It may reduce inflammation due to its anti-inflammatory properties… great for those with eczema, rosacea and other skin concerns.
- It also plays well with others to increase their benefits. Some favourites are: Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin C, Peptides, Retinol and Ceramides.
A tip would be to start with lower percentages and increase – to avoid potential irritation.
Just a note: niacinamide isn’t the same thing as niacin. They’re two different types of vitamin B-3… in fact, Niacinamide is derived from Niacin and although they are used interchangeably, they do have some different properties when taken orally. High niacin doses can cause flushing, which is a condition that causes blood vessels to widen, Niacinamide does not.
Alpha H Vitamin B Serum
This magical blue liquid is a mega skin hydrator. Vitamin B3 is the core vitamin in this serum – B3 is known for its ability to help the body break down carbs, fats and protein into energy: in this serum it helps to deeply hydrate and firm the skin whilst at the same time encouraging collagen production. This potent vitamin serum is fortified with niacinamide and copper tripeptide to put up a formidable fight against damaging environmental elements and prevent the appearance of premature ageing.
Cosrx Overnight Spa Mask
This lovely overnight mask leaves you with brighter skin overnight! Infused with 68% Rice Extract, the formula absorbs effortlessly and immediately starts to balance the complexion for a more even skin tone. Sunflower Seed Oil intensely hydrates for a plumper texture while Niacinamide adds a radiant, healthy glow.
Atomy Absolute CellActive Ampoule
Glowing skin in a bottle… this gorgeous serum combines Niacinamide with Lactic Acid, Glycolic Acid, Lupin Protein and Japonica Root Extract for hydrating, brightening effects. It works to boost elasticity in the skin and leave you glowing.
Wildcrafted Organics Wild Rose Mist
This gorgeous organic and vegan-friendly mist includes some seriously skin-boosting ingredients making it the perfect addition to your skincare collection. Wildcrafted Organics is a brand very committed to bringing the highest quality ingredients to use in their formulations – so that the products deliver tangible results. This feels lovely on the skin thanks to its lush texture. It has a light, soothing fragrance and there’s a noticeable difference when used on freshly cleansed skin.
Naya Antioxidant Defence Booster
This Innovative antioxidant booster is perfect because you can add it to your serums your cleanser or simply mix it with water in your hand and apply it to your face. what it does is as its name suggests: it protects your skin from environmental aggressors thanks to ingredients like vitamin c , niacinamide and of course Naya’s responsibly sourced Cacay oil from Columbia. Fine lines and dull skin be gone!
Sunday Riley Clean Rinse Serum
As someone who uses a lot of products in her hair, I found this a great product to help with build up on the scalp. It’s easy to apply and has an almost tingling sensation when applied: I like that you can apply this briefly before washing to prepare the scalp. This does a great job at clarifying the scalp and lifting any excess oils, dead skin cells and product build up, leaving the scalp feeling fresh.
Inner Beauty Benefits
- As it’s an essential nutrient for the skin and also something naturally found in food, it can boost you from the inside out. It’s water soluble
- Also known as nicotinamide, this is essential so a deficiency can lead to disorders of the skin, kidneys, and brain.
- Niacinamide helps build the protein keratin, which keeps the skin (and hair) strong and healthy.
- It can help your skin grow a ceramide (lipid) barrier… helping to retain moisture.
- There is some evidence to suggest that Niacinamide was effective at reducing the risk of developing skin cancers.
- Some studies have shown that niacinamide can help with both hyperphosphatemia and kidney disease when used in combination with other phosphate binders
The best way to get niacinamide internally is via diet.
Leave A Comment