Are you looking to regain some mental clarity and a sense of calm in your everyday life? Many of us end up feeling overwhelmed in life, so anything that can help wellbeing is worth your time and sandalwood is known for its extensive therapeutic benefits. Curious? Let’s find out more.
What is it?
The essential oil of sandalwood is extracted through steam distillation of pieces of wood from matured Sandalwood trees which are 40-80 years old, although 80 years is preferred. The older the tree, the more oil is available, and the aroma is stronger. It smells very woody, quite creamy and the fragrance can be retained for decades.
How can it support your wellbeing?
The grounding, balancing aroma of Sandalwood will help settle and balance emotion and for this reason it is often used in meditation. Sandalwood is considered holy in the Hindu religion and in every step of their social and religious rituals and ceremonies, sandalwood is required.
What are the skincare benefits?
- It has powerful antibacterial properties, which will help to fight spots.
- It is also a great cure for prickly heat and rashes as it will help soothe and cool the skin.
- As a powder, it can be mixed with water to create an exfoliating mask. We’re particularly big fans of the Mauli Rituals Radiance and Exfoliant Mask which contains sandalwood, saffron and rose.
- Sandalwood oil is a great softening agent and can help fade scars and dark spots.
- Sandalwood oil is also regarded as a great skin tightening oil!
Sandalwood in Skincare
Are you interested in trying Sandalwood in skincare?
Urban Veda have recently launched a range of facial oils including a gorgeous soothing facial oil which features Sandalwood as a key ingredient. This oil helps to harmonise aggravated skin, diminishing the appearance of redness, and delivering an abundance of hydration – featuring other ingredients including blend of healing avocado, balancing Ayurvedic shatavari and anti-ageing omega-rich organic sea buckthorn to hydrate and nourish sensitive skin. It is clear, feels lovely on the skin and if you love the smell of sandalwood, you’ll love the scent of this – I certainly can’t get enough of it! The lovely blend of ingredients makes me feel calmed when applying it and my skin feel soothed and pampered.
Urban Veda has a lovely range of Sandalwood products including face creams and washes if you’re interested in trying something from the range.
Have you tried anything with sandalwood in it that you think we should try? Let us know, get in touch!