Glossier. If you haven’t heard of this brand… where have you been?
Glossier was founded by Emily Weiss, who is also the CEO of Into the Gloss. With its chic packaging and good price range, this brand is one of the fastest-growing beauty brands of recent years. We have been trying out some of their popular products… and our thoughts are below! Jessica tested out the Milky Jelly Cleanser and the Moisturising Moon Mask and Denise tested out the birthday cake balm.
Milky Jelly Cleanser
The Milky Jelly Cleanser is really what Glossier is known for… and I can see why. It’s a lovely cleaner and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed using it.
What’s in it:
- Poloxamer – A strong yet mild cleansing agent used in contact lens solution.
- Rosewater – gives it a nice scent, but not overpowering. Softens the skin and has anti-inflammatory properties.
What’s to love
- Has a creamy gel texture.
- Gentle enough to use on the eyes.
- Feels conditioning and nice on the skin.
- It removes makeup really well.
I used it to remove foundation, mascara and liquid eyeliner easily and is a nice alternative to using a balm cleanser, which is usually my preferred method. However, I still prefer to use this as a morning cleanse rather than to remove makeup and it’s quite refreshing in the morning, particularly as you can just wash this off with water rather than going in with a muslin cloth like you do with many balms.
As it’s a gel cleanser, it isn’t as nourishing as what I’m used to, but great to be used in the morning just to clean my face and start the day.
How to use
Apply a pump or two to your hands and massage into wet skin and then rinse.
Moisturising Moon Mask
I love a good hydrating mask and this is a nice one to add to my arsenal. It’s very light so it would be good for all skin types including sensitive skin, but dry/dehydrated skin might need something a little stronger.
What’s in it
- Sweet Almond Oil – This wonder-oil can be used for almost anything – from smoothing the skin, deep cleansing, removing dark circles, treating eczema and rashes, anti-ageing skincare, hair loss and giving your hair shine, nail care and so much more!
- Shea butter – it is a natural moisturiser. It helps reduce inflammation and smooths the skin. Some people find that as shea butter is so rich, it can clog their skin if used on the face, so keep that in mind. However, the shea butter does seem quite thin in this product, so it shouldn’t cause any problems.
- Squalane – This oil is easily absorbed by the skin and penetrates deeply helping to repair it, helping to restore optimum moisture levels in the skin. We recently wrote a whole post about this fabulous oil, see it here.
What’s to love
- Feels lovely and cooling on the skin. Face felt very soft after removing it.
- Some people have also used this as a night mask, leaving it on overnight to really gain all the benefits. I tried this and enjoyed it, it didn’t leave a residue on the pillow at all. You could also leave this on throughout the day, letting it absorb into your skin and after 20 minutes, just dabbing away at the excess product.
- To maximise the cooling/soothing benefits, you can leave it in the fridge.
How to use:
Apply a thick layer to moist skin and allow it to soak for 20 minutes. Rinse well.
Balm DotCom in ‘Birthday Cake’
Lip balm is something that is a must-have in the handbag, something to keep your lips moisturised throughout the day.
What’s in it
- Petrolatum – this is the first ingredient and works like a protective barrier on the skin.
- Castor Seed Oil – A natural plant extract, the thick emollient has unique water-binding properties that keep moisture locked in.
- Beeswax – A natural emollient which acts as a protective barrier.
- Cupuacu Fruit Extract – An organic, long-lasting moisturizer with Omega-6 and Omega-9 fatty acids that melts into the skin on contact.
- Rice Bran and Rosemary Leaf Extracts – Antioxidants to combat free-radical skin damage.
What’s to love
- This is a light but effective balm. It spreads easily and leaves the skin feeling moisturised, great to use on lips as well as areas that need an instant moisture boost, elbows, knees, cuticles, etc. It’s portable and perfect for carrying around day to day and for travel… love that.
- It has a lovely shimmery sheen to it.
- The balm comes in 6 scents including original, which is perfect if you’re not keen on fruity or floral scents.