WOW BEAUTY SMOOTHIE (vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, paleo)
I’m a firm believer that beauty begins in the kitchen not at the beauty counter. Before reaching for lotions and potions, the first step in my skincare routine is what I consume. I love to start my day with a smoothie bursting with nutrients which can boost collagen production, stabilise blood sugar, promote healing and reduce inflammation amongst other benefits. What’s good for overall health is good for the skin. A smoothie a day keeps the doctor away and skin glowing!
This purple smoothie specially created for WOW Beauty is full of ingredients that all pack a mighty nutritional and beauty boosting punch:
• Spirulina is a blue-green algae that can be considered the original superfood and has been used by ancient civilisations including the Aztecs! It is the world’s richest source of complete protein as well as containing extremely high levels of numerous vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and enzymes (50 times more iron than spinach, 6 times more protein than eggs). All these as well as marine collagen peptides which help repair damaged skin.
• Red cabbage is rich in sulphur and antioxidants. Sulphur has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, boosts cell turnover and is an essential component in building keratin for skin, nails and hair.
• Cucumber is one of the most hydrating vegetables consisting of over 95% water. It’s also a rich source of silica which helps keep hair and nails stronger and is a key component required for the production of collagen.
• Beetroot is high in fibre, helps to stimulate liver detoxification, boosts white blood cells, lowers blood pressure, and is great for stamina and energy.
• Blueberries boast high levels of antioxidant phytonutrients, vitamins C and K, manganese, copper and fibre, they are great for overall health and disease fighting.
• Ginger is bursting with antioxidants, antibacterial and antiseptic properties which are great for the skin
• Strawberries are rich in antioxidants, vitamin C and help protect skin from UV damage. They were used as an acne treatment by the ancient Egyptians.
Ingredients for 1 large glass:
• A slice of red cabbage
• 5 cm chunk of cucumber
• Half a beetroot
• Small handful of blueberries
• 1 cm piece of ginger
• Half a lemon
• 3 strawberries
• 1 teaspoon spirulina
• 200ml of water/coconut water
For more smoothie inspiration visit Wonderlusting Kitchen https://wonderlusting.co.uk