Kosas … Lipsticks for ‘thoughtful and refined women’.
We came across this brand of eco-chic lipsticks purely by chance. Let’s be honest and say that it’s very easy to be seduced by the advertising linked with mainstream makeup brands…with their fancy packaging and visuals. Not so long ago, if you had to think of a lipstick that was holistic, cruelty-free and free from nasties you would have been forgiven for getting depressed and resorting to rubbing beetroot juice on your lips. I like my lipstick to have a presence- I like sleek, memorable packaging that looks good on my dressing table as well as in my makeup bag …and yes it has to be a good lipstick too. Good colour, good coverage, lovely texture etc…. Luckily there are some fab brands available now that tick many of those boxes and KOSAS is one of them.
Kosås comes from the philosophy of the five interconnected layers, or “kosas” of the self: the physical, energetic, mental, intellectual, and soul. It’s their purpose to cultivate beauty on every level… beauty with intention and it is clear a lot of love and intention has gone into this brand.
What’s to love:
– Well, the silky, light texture that is imperceptible once you’ve applied it. For Jessica, Undone is a perfect ‘your lips but better’ colour and feels great on the lips.
– Once it’s on your lips still look and feel like your lips: not waxy or sticky at all! The pigment is smooth and even when applied.
– Pure colour!
– They have a semi-matte finish that feels very moisturising
The Kosas lipsticks:
Their colours are inspired by the natural beauty in every woman, featuring some fabulous and nourishing ingredients. We cannot get over the scent – they smell delicious and the scent lingers after application. The ingredients will also help to nourish and heal your lips – so instead of drying out your lips with products, you’re actually helping to nourish them instead.
- Mango Seed Butter: this is omega-rich and skin soothing
- Shea Butter: Deeply hydrating collagen support
- Cocoa Seed Butter: Improves skin’s natural healing ability –
- Green Tea Seed Oil: Anti-aging free radical defence and repair
- Rosehip Seed Oil: Added antioxidants for enhanced tone and texture
- Jojoba Oil: Vitamin-packed moisturizer
- Sweet Orange Oil: Uplifting, mood-boosting scent – perfect for a wellbeing boost
The colours that we have had to play with are in descending order: Darkroom, Thrillest, Fringe, Undone, Rosewater and Stardust. Some are slightly more sheer than others, but they are all beautiful.
Darkroom – a romantic, semi-matte bordeaux and plum blend
Thrillest – a vibrant poppy red with a hint of orange
Fringe – a brick red with a mix of red and brown hues
Undone – a full impact brown and pink toned lipstick
Rosewater – a sheer dusty pink
Stardust – a sheer nude with hints of pink and brown
In founder Sheena Yaitanes’s own words… these are lipsticks that “lift you up, and won’t let you down.” A statement we couldn’t agree with more.