This beautiful blue oil certainly makes an eye-catching statement and it also packs a punch with it’s soothing, healing abilities.
What is it?
Blue Tansy essential oil gets part of its name from its distinctive and vivid shade of blue which it gets from its azulene content. It’s is a flowering plant related to the daisy which is a native of various parts of Europe and is also known by its scientific name Tanacetum Annuum. Tanacetum Annuum contains no thujone (which is a toxic compound) and high amounts of chamazulene making the oil dark blue in colour.
It has therapeutic properties very similar to German chamomile and a sweet, warm fragrance that makes it extremely popular in aromatherapy!
The herb itself is very poisonous when consumed. However, it has been proven to be wonderful when used topically and blended in diffusers as it:
- Promotes relaxation: the scent is very soothing and contains elements of linalool, carvone, and carvacrol that can help calm anxiety symptoms.
- The natural component, chamazulene, is responsible for much of the oil’s therapeutic benefits, to calm and relax the senses.
- A natural antihistamine – it supports a healthy respiratory system during times of high seasonal pollen. It also contains camphor, a compound used in many commercial chest rubs designed to relieve congestion so can help when you’re feeling congested!
- It has a cooling effect, so can help soothe inflammation
Blue Tansy oil is amazing in skincare. Here are some of the benefits.
- Blue Tansy has powerful aromatic properties – the scent alone when applied to the skin is relaxing and calming, with a scent like a sweet fruit, with a hint of herbal notes.
- This oil is amazing because of its anti-inflammatory properties, particularly because of the level of Azulene in the oil – and it’s often aimed at treating acne and other skin irritations and reactions. It also helps to soothe puffy, tired eyes.
- It contains the components sabinene and camphor that contribute to its antifungal activity, helping to soothe itchy skin.
Who should avoid Blue Tansy
If you’re allergic to ragweed, chamomile, or they have some sort of hay fever, you should definitely make sure to definitely spot-check. If using this in a diffuser, due to the lack of research, we’d recommend that you avoid using this around infants, small children, and pregnant women. Due to its high camphor content, people with epilepsy or Parkinson’s disease should avoid it too.
Is Blue tansy going to be the next big thing in skincare? Would love to hear your thoughts…but first, let’s talk about some skincare products that we’ve found that utilising the amazing benefits of Blue Tansy.
Kahina Giving Beauty Facial Cleanser
This is a cream cleanser, which has a nice slip to it and feels lovely on the skin. It’s quite a thin consistency and they use the gorgeous scent of blue tansy to enrich this cleanser. It feels like quite a light cleanser, but it works really well.
Inner Senses Deep Blue C Face Oil
NINI Organics Halo Cleansing Elixir
This lush cleansing oil is perfect for some mindful cleansing… it compels you to take the time to inhale it’s lovely fragrance as you massage this nourishing oil cleanser over your face. I like the way that it cleanses my combination skin, leaving it deeply cleansed and hydrated at the same time thanks to its combination of Blue Tansy oil, jojoba oil and cold pressed passion fruit oil, as well as vitamin E and Lavender.
The Cleansing Oil is £50 from NINI Organics
These two are all about those beautiful blues, so lets’ talk about them together.
Sunday Riley’s Luna Sleeping Night Oil
This is formulated as a night oil as it also has a Retional complex in it – which is something you’d normally use at night. The Blue Tansy in this oil is used to soothe the skin while you sleep so you wake up with plumped, firmer skin.
Herbivore Lapis Facial Oil
This blue coloured beauty is all about balance…it is designed to balance combination, oily and blemish prone skin types. In terms of texture, this is almost a ‘non oil’ – it goes on more like a serum than a typical oil and vanishes into the skin like a whisper! No blocked pores with this, just smooth flawless looking skin with a healthy satin finish.
This oil can be used both day and night
May contain affiliate links