Summer is officially upon us! You might be planning to go away on a holiday, or you’re doing a staycation, or simply want to feel your best in shorts or a dress. One feature that I love to make sure look absolutely glowing in these hot days are my legs – and here are 7 simple steps to enhance your legs this season!
If you’re wanting your legs to look their best it’s worth considering the effects of water retention. Most of us retain water at some stage and there are numerous reasons for it. Quite simply water retention is when excess fluids build up inside your body and often causes swelling in the abdomen, legs, ankles, feet and hands…we’ve all experienced those moments when our favourite ring or sandals won’t fit. Many women retain water around the time of their period for example but hormones, hot weather, and gravity can also be the cause. Water retention can also be a symptom of serious medical conditions so if you have concerns, see your GP.
There are several steps that you can take to reduce water retention:
- Reduce salt intake
- Reduce your intake of coffee and tea as they can lead to dehydration which then causes the body to retain fluid.
- Drink more water, the idea being that when you drink enough water, you encourage the body to eliminate more and retain less.
- If you suffer from PMS try taking a magnesium supplement as it’s been proven to help.
- Try natural diuretics like dandelion tea, cucumber, parsley.
- Get more exercise- movement helps with improving circulation
- Lymphatic drainage massage- encourages the body’s natural drainage of unneeded fluid via the lymphatic system.
- If you’re prone to swollen feet and ankles, try elevating them at the end of the day.
Start by Skin Brushing
Dry brushing is wonderful to exfoliate the skin, it’s a well-known practice that devotees swear by for improving the texture of the skin. It helps detoxify by increasing blood circulation and promoting lymph flow/drainage, ultimately helping to improve the look of cellulite. It also stimulates your nervous system, which can make you feel invigorated afterwards!
You could try
The Mio Body Brush
Polishing Body Brush
A body scrub is also a great way to exfoliate to remove all the dead skin cells and leave you with glowing skin underneath. Many body scrubs work best if used before getting in the bath or the shower so that you don’t end up dissolving the sugar/salt base before they’re able to work their magic. Your skin will be smooth and soft afterwards!
You could try
The Gorgeous Soldier
Coco Rose Body Polish
Double Buff Exfoliator
When you jump in the shower or the bath, use a nice nourishing body gel or oil, depending on your preference to cleanse your skin without drying it out.
You could try
Oudh Accord and Gold Body Wash
Detoxifying + Volcanic Ash Body Wash